Monday, September 19, 2005

May You Live In Interesting Times

That we do. Like it or not, good or bad we live in interesting times.

A major American City was quite nearly destroyed a couple of weeks ago. That only happens every century or so. But that was overshadowed by an even rarer occurrence: George W. Bush admitted responsibility as President.

Have you seen the video of his...well...apology? You must! Go to that blue link and scroll down 'til you see the President in front of a podium looking uncomfortable.

Before talking specifics, first an aside about apologies. There are many kinds.
1. I only hit you honey, because you made me mad.
2. I know I shouldn't hit you, but you shouldn't make me mad.
3. There's no excuse whatsoever for what I did. I'll seek counseling and pray you'll give me a
second chance.

As you can tell from the above, apologies come in many varieties, and they all contain different levels of guilt acknowledgement. In ascending order, the guilty party above rests no guilt, a little bit of guilt, and total guilt on his shoulders.

The Bush apology resides in the midling ground, in my not-too-humble opinion. Here's the apology transcribed:
"Katrina uh...exposed...(long sigh) serious problems in our response capability in all levels of government. And...to the extent that the Federal Government...uh...didn't fully do its job right...I take responsibility."

The President was about as uncomfortable as I've seen him, especially at the beginning of his so-called apology. He seemed to physically struggle to actually get the words to come out. Just before he says "And...to the extent that the Federal Government..." his hand gesture and dipping of his head are what I take to be distancing gestures. I think the truer nature of his feelings came out briefly there.

Then he switches into 3rd person briefly with "didn't fully do its job right..." which suggests that it's the Federal Government that didn't do its job right, not him. He does end it with "I take responsibility." Time will tell if he does, but judging by his apology, which has all the visual trappings of an 8 year-old boy's insincere apology, I'm not exactly filled with a sense of hope.

Couple of quotes:

"...to the extent that the Federal Government...uh...didn't fully do its job right...I take responsibility."

"The buck stops here."

Which of those two is more direct, more responsible sounding, and more sincere? In reading the two quotes do you believe one and doubt the other?

To close out here, I'll end somewhat ridiculously with a quote I came across in researching the title of this piece "May You Live in Interesting Times." It's an old Chinese quote that has no applicability other than it amuses me. Hope it amuses you, too.

"It's better to be a dog in a peaceful time that be a man in a chaotic period."

4 Comments:

At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I walk away from your blog, all I can think is, "This man wants to be a dog."
That's just silly.
Now, go fetch...

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger VTexan said...

I must say, you have made an outstanding case there. I haven't been blown away by such complicated, yet lucid logic, maybe in years. It will really cause me pause (or perhaps "paws") before my next post because of your astute abilities to make a point.

I'm impressed.

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but I visit your blog every day to see what new little gem of wisdom that you have left for us - the unwashed - to find and bemuse over. Could you climb down from your ivory tower every once in awhile and drop another jewel for us? Thank you in advance. By the way, I see you posted a partial photo with only one eye showing, do you have a patch over your other eye? Are you a pirate? Thank you in advance.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger VTexan said...

A few thoughts:
--The ivory tower within which I live is QUITE high. That climb is extreme.I'll have to get back to you on that.
--On you being unwashed: WASH.
--And yes, me matey! I AM a pirate...and now I've stolen a bit of your time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home