Thursday, June 30, 2005

I'm Back from the Big Blue

Had a blast in New York City. Hey, if you haven't been there, you should know that it's a VERY big place. Lots of people. Huge buildings. The city goes on and on and on and on...

A few amusing points to note:
--I was watching a newscast on WCBS and Roz Abrams asked her co-anchor who was going to be on Letterman. He said Tim Robbins. "Oh great...he's one of my favorites!" she gushed. If I didn't know before, I knew then "buddy, you ain't in Texas anymore..."
--Sitting in a Greenwich Village Thai restaurant and having Hillary Swank walk by with her dog. --Having a subway faux pas wherein we had to go all the way to Harlem to get downtown from Midtown.
--Seeing summer-attired (think skimpily-clothed) women walking by Orthodox Jewish men.
--Hearing Robert F. Kennedy call George W. Bush a son-of-a-bitch.
What? You didn't hear about this? It was outstanding. I was at a convention and Kennedy was a keynoter. He'd been asked there to speak on his passion: the environment.
I can tell you this...he had no prompter, no notes, no nothing. He spoke from his heart for probably 40 minutes. And he got himself quite worked up over the environmental protection rollbacks/corporate polluter giveaways that GW Bush has been responsible for. He was talking about one of his favorite activities: taking his kids fishing. Unfortunately, every year when he gets his license, New York state gives him an inch-thick booklet detailing all the rivers and lakes, and fish that he shouldn't eat because of how much mercury and other chemcals there are in the water. Just after he referenced the polluted waters, the sonofabitch comment slipped out.
Since I figured there would be those who told the organization they were offended, when I saw the chairman of the organization, I told him that I appreciated Mr. Kennedy's speech. He told me that Kennedy had called from his car after he left and apologized. The chairman told him there was no need for an apology.
To those of you offended by such talk, please accept my apoligies.
On second thought, never mind. I apologize for nothing. Besides Bush being responsible for everything that Kennedy pointed out, he started that unnecessary war, within which tens of thousands have died. I understand he's our president, but there's no getting around it: he's everything Kennedy called him. And honestly folks, far worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home