Monday, June 20, 2005

Off to the Chief Blue State

I'm going to New York City tomorrow, and will be there for the rest of the week. Ah, New Yawk. It's the chief Blue State. The land of Hillary. The office of Bill. The trip is a combination work and vacation. The family is going along and I really look forward to it.

Sorry I've been so inconsistent recently. My grandmother died and I went out to West Texas to bid her goodbye. My Pennsylvania sister was there, and it was nice to see her, as well as the other relatives.

My family has PHDs and farmers, professionals and ranchers, gamblers and evangelist assistants. I tend to think of us as a standard American family, a la Texas. But surely your family tree doesn't grow as twisted as ours. Or does it?

I can trace a lot of those people right back to the day they were born, as many can me. Seeing them is yet another one of those ways you measure yourself in life. What have they done with themselves? What have you done with yourself? It was a bit like a high school reunion, but it didn't for me have the loaded interpersonal intrigue that those do. I'm sure the funeral held that for some, but for me it was a very pleasant experience.

It was good to hear what was said about my ancient grandma. She was a significant person in west Texas. She was a no-nonsense mover and shaker, in a common-person fashion. But this isn't a piece about her. I'll do that later. This is just a promise for more thoughts headed your way. That gives you plenty of incentive to come back...or perhaps to stay away!

See you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home