Monday, April 04, 2005

What is it about Texas...

...that produces such world class rectal orifices? I really try to steer clear of name-calling, but Lawd a'mighty...these three stooges deserve every last name we can throw their way.

Hailing from Texas there's George W. (though he's as much a product of the northeast, despite that Texas accent that remarkably, no one else in his family has [explain that one, willya?]). There's Tom Delay...oh, don't get me started. And now there's John Cornyn.

Senator John Cornyn hasn't distinguished himself through too much bizarre behavior yet, but give him time. He's just getting started. Regarding the Terri Schiavo ruling he said this on the Senate floor:
"It causes a lot of people, including me, great distress to see judges use the authority that they have been given to make raw political or ideological decisions," he said.

Let me translate for you: "When judges rule other than the way I want it, that's ideological! Rule the way I want them to and they're good judges."

Why would I say that? Because if judges ruled to allow school-conducted prayer, there's not a snowball's chance in hell Cornyn would consider that a political or ideological decision. They'd consider them courageous and outstanding judges.

And if you're thinking "maybe we should allow prayer in school..." remember, there's not one law that says you can't pray in school. You can pray any time you want to. The law prohibits the school from conducting the prayer. The Jewish students, the Muslim students and the non-believers are quite glad that here in the land of the free they aren't compelled to pray in Jesus' name, just like Christians and Jews aren't too inclined to pray to Allah. As proud Americans, we ought to be glad that we have freedom of--and from--religion. You want religion to be the law of the land? Move to Iran!

But back to the Texas buffoon-du-jour, Senator Cornyn. Unwisely, he didn't stop there.
"I don't know if there is a cause-and-effect connection, but we have seen some recent episodes of courthouse violence in this country. . . . And I wonder whether there may be some connection between the perception in some quarters, on some occasions, where judges are making political decisions yet are unaccountable to the public."

My grasp of the English language tells me that he's drawing a connection between courthouse violence and judges' decisions. He doesn't justify it, but linking the two together is in one sense, exactly that.
1. Judge makes bad ruling, so
2. As a result, this other guy does that.

When in fact what he should say is this:
1. Loony bin gets a gun, and
2. Loony bin shoots a judge.

Those judges aren't being accountable, so let's shoot them! To be fair, Cornyn doesn't suggest the loony bins' actions are justified. But to understand in any fashion their actions shows a perceived common ground on Cornyn's part. To have Tom Delay issuing a veiled threat, then John Cornyn vocalizing an even tenuous understanding of why the loony bins do what they do, all in one week...Lawd have mercy!

Texas has unleased an unprecedented spate of stupidity on the rest of the nation. If you've heard it from no other Texan, hear it from me now. I'm so sorry that these fools are running the show. 'Course, you all supposedly voted George W. back into office after having 4 years' worth of reasons not to...so I suppose there's enough blame to go around.

1 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger VTexan said...

Hello Ozy
I replied to your e-mail on my hotmail account but it came back as undeliverable.
Been way busy of late and it doesn't stop now. I'm up at 5:30 Saturday morning heading to Houston and won't return 'til about midnight.
I'll catch you when I have a bit more time...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home