Thursday, March 03, 2005

That Ol' March To Freedom

I keep on hearing that Democrats are on the wrong side of the March To Freedom. Mmm...The March To Freedom. What the hell is that anyway? Since when have speech writers' snappy turn of phrase played such a role in political discourse in America?

I saw some guy posting on a TV talk group where I go and regarding the changes in Lebannon, he said with standard issue neo con bravado that Democrats were simply on the wrong side of the March to Freedom. I replied that this Democrat supports anybody anywhere who wants to make their country freer. And I followed that by asking which Democrats where are doing what to prevent freedom from coming to Lebannon?? The response was pretty amazing. It's in the next paragraph.



Looking for the next paragraph? Well, that was his response. In other words, this semi-mindless droid figured that if there was possibly some positive by-product of Bush's war on Iraq, that Democrats would naturally oppose it--that wrong side of freedom line. And while there is reason for concern about developments in Lebannon (inertia is safe, change is dangerous), I don't see Democrats stepping up and saying that the Lebanese don't deserve whatever freedom they can attain. So this guy was generating something out of nothing.

That's what's called the "disinformation business," a business at which those on the right have excelled so mightily. I for one am quite tired of it. And when I see lies, that's what I'm going to call them. When I see disinformatioin, I'm going to ask for proof. An un-inquisitive media has allowed this particular group of Republicans (the Bush administration and its supporters) far too close to free rein in Washington. And that's how they get away with saying so many things which are just one true fact away from being impressive. If the facts actually backed up what they said, I'd be impressed. It's just that lack of fact problem that hampers their March Towards Honesty...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home