Friday, February 11, 2005

I Challenged Journalists; Journalists Quaked

I go every day to a web site called TV Spy where people who do what I do for a living--I work in Television News--go to stay up on new developments in the field. There's also an extensive subject-divided chat area for television folks. My favorite is the Sandbox because it's all politics, all the time.

Two weeks ago Thursday I posted something like "I'm always hearing how the Democrats won't win because they run for president far-left wing types who Americans just won't vote for... and candidates who are just out of touch with Middle America. So tell me: what program, what platform issue have Gore, Dean or Kerry pushed which would define them as being far left wing?"

It's been two+ weeks and the responses I've had have been amazing, simply amazing. Here's one:
--"Gore wanted to appease the terrorists." When asked precisely what Gore wanted to do to appease them, he couldn't come up with anything.
--"Gore is left of center on the environment." When asked what exactly are you referring to, he could give NO examples.
--"Dean supports gay marriage." When told that Dean actually was forced into creating a method to secure the rights of Gay couples by the Vermont Supreme Court, and then only supported Civil Unions (and has never supported gay marriage), he had nothing to say.
--"Kerry supports late term abortion." When I found on the Kerry web site that he'd voted against late term abortion except when it threatened the mother's life, he could think of nothing to say.

I'll spare you any more, but understand here: I'm not talking about a bunch of carpenters, or furniture salesmen, or even biologists. I'm talking about journalists here. Of all people who should be aware of candidates' positions, journalists should rate right up there at the top. So it's been TWO weeks and not one journalist has posted a credible program, platform or law passed by Dean/Kerry/Gore that proves they're far left.

There were half a dozen or more who posted stupid stupid stuff--"They're out of touch with middle America," "They just too angry," "They're on the wrong side of freedom..." But those are all just empty platitudes, campaign phrases or straight lifts from GW Bush speeches. They could of course offer no specific attribution, just baseless thoughts.

What I'm saying is that the Karl Rove smear machine worked gangbusters on the very people who should view this kind of thing with the most sophisticated eyes. What I've discovered here is Journalists who believe to their core things that they can't, given two weeks to do so, justify in the least.

Amazing...simply amazing!

1 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger VTexan said...

I've heard this about Clinton a lot from the right, but never any examples of how Clinton changed his stripes because of polls. Do you have any examples to cite?

I think if we had this conversation over a couple of beers we'd find ourselves agreeing with one another more than not. But then, I don't know any bars that allow people to bring dogs in...:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home